Recurrent sore throat and swollen taste buds

02/05/2007

Question:

I have had a recurring sore throat, dry mouth, and swollen taste buds on the back of my tongue for almost a month now. I also have sinus drainage, and started Allegra-D and Flonase several weeks ago. Are these symptoms connected? What could be causing the recurring sore throat, dry mouth, and swollen taste buds on the very back of my tongue?

Answer:

Persistent post nasal drip can cause a chronic sore throat.  However, a dry throat will be sore, and can cause some irritation (swelling) of the bumps on the back of your tongue.  A persistent dry mouth can be associated with some medications, or with severe nasal congestion or obstruction.  I would recommend an evaluation by an ENT physician.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy