Black spot in left vision

01/30/2007

Question:

A week ago, I have observed a small black spot in my left vision that when i look right to left up down it follows to the left and disappears, there are also faint black floaters that when i focus on i see then it goes away. I`m really scared. am I going to lose my vision, or is it a tumor.

Answer:

This sounds like a common problem that people eventually experience in life. Floaters are strands of fibrin and protein inside the eye that change position when you change your direction of gaze.

You should see your eye doctor at your earliest convenience to make sure that you don't have a retinal detachment. These are uncommon, but must be treated in a timely manner if it does occur.

Also, see this consumer sight at http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/spotsfloats.htm for more information on the topic.

Best to you.

Cynthia Gale Heard, OD Cynthia Gale Heard, OD
Formerly
Assistant Professor, Clinical Optometry