Dental and Oral Health Center

Wisdom teeth out

02/06/2007

Question:

I am also looking for an answer. After I got my wisdom teeth out, I can't open my mouth more then half an inch. There is no other pain, but I have a fever (really cold, then hot) and there is some funky tasting stuff coming out of my saliva glands. Is this normal? My breathg is really foul smelling. Please respond as soon as possible. Thanks.

Answer:

If your fever is not due to a cold or stomach virus, then it should be the manifestation of an infection of some sort related to your mouth. Increased body temperature should be taken seriously and
antibiotics might need to be prescribed.

The limited opening could be caused by different things, among them, muscle spasm from opening too wide and for a long time. The foul smell could be an indication also that an infection is present.

My advice is that you should visit your dentist that extracted your wisdom teeth for a healing checkup as soon as possible. At this visit, you would like to present your concerns to him/her with regards to your situation.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Periodontics
School of Dental Medicine