Cardiac Rehabilitation

Heart and Lung Problems After Surgery

02/06/2007

Question:

The week following my foot surgery, I was in the ER for a pneumothorax, bilateral pleural effusions and a large pericardial effusion. Then began PACs & PVCs. I developed an abscessed tooth and the need for 3 root canals. I have had a number of cardiac echoes, an MRI of the heart and several CT scans of the chest. I was on 2 anti-inflammatory medications and was also in cardiac rehab for several months. A year and a half later, I still have the pericardial effusion and PACs. In addition, I now have a 4 mm nodule in my left lung and some scarring in my right lung. I didn't have any of these problems prior to my surgery & wonder if there is a connection. Have you ever heard of anything like this before, and do you have any idea what might be going on? I appreciate your time.

Answer:

Your case sounds very involved, and without going over your full chart in detail, it would be difficult to know if the surgery and the pericardial effusion are related. If you saw a cardiologist during your stay, and after, you may want to discuss this with him or her, as they would have much more insight into your case.

Go to the Cardiac Rehabilitation health topic, where you can:

Karen   Kutoloski, DO Karen Kutoloski, DO
Assistant Professor of Medicine