Addiction and Substance Abuse

Is he able to stop?

02/07/2007

Question:

My boufriend is addicted to oxys. Hes been on them for over a year. I caught him in July and he`d been on them for 6 months prior. He has started Methadone treatments but he is still using the pills. Will he be able to stop now that he knows he can handle both? This has been the only thing we`ve ever fought about, and I can`t handle much more, but will me leaving ruining the little progress he`s made?

Answer:

Your boyfriend sounds like a very sick young man and needs an intensive treatment program. Methadone is definitely an option as is Suboxone. If he is using Methadone AND Oxycontin, his use and probably his life are out of control.

As much as you may love him and care about him, you are powerless over him, and you really can't help him. I would strongly recommend that you join AlAnon as soon as possible so you can take care of yourself. It must be very difficult for you to watch your boyfriend destroy himself.

You may consider choosing not to continue in the relationship as long as he continues to use, so you won't end up destroying your life, too. Remember that addicts lie often and well, and they often believe the lies they tell themselves.

Good luck and God bless.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Peter D Rogers, MD, MPH