Sarcoidosis

Bone marrow sarcoidosis and thrombocytopenia

02/06/2007

Question:

My father has been diagnosed with sarcoidosis in the bone marrow and is suffering from extremely low platelet count. He is in dire need of open heart surgery but cannot have it due to the low platelets. Are there any doctors that specialize in sarcoidosis of the bone marrow? He has already been treated with prednisone and it did not work.

Answer:

Dear Sir/Madam-

Sarcoidosis is a disease that can affect virtually any organ of the body, including the spleen and bone marrow, which remove and produce platelets, respectively. In the case of your father, it is unclear if he has a platelet production problem or a platelet consumption problem. In cases such as this, I find it helpful to consult my hematology colleagues. They are experts in sorting out these types of problems and most hematologists are specifically experienced with sarcoidosis patients. In some cases, the thrombocytopenia is not directly related to sarcoidosis; instead representing a manifestation of a different disease.

Sincerely,

Elliott Crouser MD

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine