I always have to clear my throat

02/08/2007

Question:

I always have to clear my throat. I have seen a specialist about this several and had tubes put in my nose and throat and no sign of cancer was found. So I was told anyway. I am thirty years old and have had this problem for almost 3 years. It will somewhat go away if I quit smoking. It almost feels like I always have a mucus clump in my throat I have to get out. Any suggestions or notices you can give to me.

Answer:

Constant throat clearing can be from several sources. The lungs. The Stomach. Food allergies. The sinuses.

Individuals with chronic pulmonary issues including tobacco abuse can have chronic cough.  Reflux of acid from the stomach into the throat can also cause chronic irritation of the voice box and frequent throat clearing.  Allergies to certain foods can cause a long list of symptoms including constant throat clearing.  Finally, allergic rhinitis and other sinus diseases can cause posterior nasal drainage and frequent throat clearing. 

Finally, smoking cessation may benefit your throat clearing and prevent more serious conditions in the future. 

An evaluation from an ear, nose, and throat physician can help determine which is the source for you.

Lee   Zimmer, MD Lee Zimmer, MD
Assistant Professor or Otolaryngology, Director of Endoscopic Cranial Base Center