Obesity and Weight Management

What is wrong with me?

03/01/2007

Question:

i have gained 34 pounds in the last 3 months have no energy, hard to breathe, very moody and depressed alot embrassed to go and do things because of my weight, but cant stop eating cant even wear any of my clothes and hate to be around people was out of work know i am going back and i hate facing the talk about how fat i have gotten

Answer:

I know you are probably frustrated by the fact that you have gained weight, and it sounds like a lot of the problems you are experiencing may be related to your weight gain (i.e. no energy, hard to breathe, depression, etc). The first step would be to examine the types of foods you are eating to determine what is causing the weight gain. Have your eating habits changed? Also, how active are you each day? Has your level of activity changed since you have been off work? The next question I would ask is if you are on any type of medications that may be contributing to your weight gain.

I would suggest talking with your doctor about your weight gain. He or she may evaluate any medicines you are on that may have weight gain as a side effect and may be able to pinpoint other conditions that may be causing your weight gain. Also, it may be helpful to speak with a registered dietitian, who can take a look at your food intake and the food choices you are making. Visit the website of the American Dietetic Association to search for a dietitian in your area- www.eatright.org, or speak with your doctor about a referral.

Additionally, your doctor may also suggest behavioral counseling, which has been shown to be helpful to explore some of the emotional and psychological aspects of depression, being overweight and issues related to weight management (i.e. overeating, self-esteem, life events such as loss of a job, etc.) that may make weight loss more challenging.

Best of luck to you!

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Jaime  Ackerman Foster, MPH, RD, LD Jaime Ackerman Foster, MPH, RD, LD
Extension Nutrition Associate
College of Education and Human Ecology