Obesity and Weight Management

Weight loss and eating habits

02/15/2007

Question:

I am a 22 year old male who is 5`10" tall and I weigh 214 pounds. I am trying to reenlist in the Army for another six years however the Army has told me that I need to reduce my weight to 185 pounds or decrease my body fat percentage. I have recently started to change my eating habits and I have also started a good workout program. My question is this,while I understand the importance of adding vegetables to my diet,I absoulutly cannot stand the taste or texture. Is there anything I use or substitute for vegetables that will give me the nutrition I need without acutally eating the vegetables?

Answer:

First of all, congratulations on making the decision to make the changes necessary to achieve your goal. Vegetables are an important source of fiber, vitamins (such as Vitamin A and C and folate) and minerals. They are low in fat and in calories. It is recommended that you consume 3-5 servings of vegetables daily.

A serving size is ½ cup raw, cooked, or frozen and 1 cup of raw, leafy, vegetables. I would encourage you to try some new vegetables, even a different way of cooking them. For example, if you are used to having vegetables cooked until they are soft, try them steamed or raw. Vegetable juice can also serve as a substitute, with ¾ cup (6oz.) of 100% vegetable juice considered a serving size.

I will provide a couple of links below for you to explore which provide information as to what foods are in the vegetable group as well as some additional tips to help you eat vegetables. If worse comes to worse, and you absolutely cannot stand the taste and texture of the new vegetables you are trying, substituting a variety of fruits in their place should give you the necessary nutrients that you would be missing. A multi-vitamin/mineral supplement would also help in meeting any missing vitamins/minerals. Just remember, a supplement is just that, NOT a replacement for food.

Best of luck in your reenlistment and adventure to trying new vegetables!

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/vegetables.html

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/vegetables-tips.html

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Angela Blackstone, RD, LD
Staff Dietitian
Metabolic Surgery Program
Wexner Medical Center