Breast Feeding

Use of nipple shield

02/19/2007

Question:

My 3 week old baby is having problem in latching directly from my breasts. I am using the nipple shield to breast feed him. I have been trying to make him feed directly from my breasts everyday but he just won`t latch on properly. We visisted the lactation consultant couple of times but even they were not able to help. I am planning to breast feed my baby for a year. Would there be a problem if I keep using the shield till he turns 1? Is there any way I could make him breast feed him directly fom my breasts.

Answer:

There is no way to tell how to make him feed directly at the breast without looking at his mouth and your nipples.

However, if he drains your breast well with the shield and is growing, there is no need to get him off the shield.

If he cannot drain your breasts well, then you should pump them and feed him your milk by bottle or syringe.

Sometimes it takes 6 weeks or more for a baby to latch well at the breast, but there is no hurry. There is also no problem if he needs the shield for an entire year. It is certainly better than using formula if you have plenty of breast milk.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology