Breast Feeding

Baby not getting enough milk

02/21/2007

Question:

My 4 week old baby falls asleep at the breasts within 10 minutes of breastfeeding. Because of this he is often cranky and needs to be fed every 1 hour. I started noticing this for the last 1 week. Could this mean that my breast milk is very little? Is there any ways to increase my breast milk as I really want to breastfeed my baby for a year. I am not getting enough sleep for the last couple of days. Could this be a reason for my low milk supply.

Answer:

There are many possible reasons for low milk supply.

If your baby falls asleep at the breast, it does usually mean that he is not getting enough milk to keep him interested. He may be sucking too far out on the tip of the nipple.

One way to keep him sucking is to massage your breast toward him while he is at the breast.

Be sure his lips are flanged well up onto the areola and that his nose is brushing up against your breast.

After about 20 minutes, pump both breasts simultaneously to stimulate more milk production.

You can feed the baby that milk after the nest breastfeeding session.

Pumping after all feeds is an excellent way to increase your milk supply.

In addition, you may want to take Fenugreek, 610 mg capsules, two 4 time per day for at least 2 weeks or until you have an adequate milk supply.

Rest and fluids (not just water) are also very important.

Best wishes for success.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology