"Dent" in muscle

03/02/2007

Question:

4 weeks ago I crashed on my MTN bike and bruised the front of my left thigh. The bruise went away and my muscle feels fine; I have resumed normal activities. However, I continue to have a 2" by 1" dent in the same place as the bruise. It`s noticable and I don`t like the way it looks. Is it a Hemotoma? What can I do to change/repair the area? I am afraid that the dent in the muscle will remain.

Answer:

Your "dent" that you describe could be due to a healing hematoma in the quadriceps muscle, as it takes time for the body to reabsorb blood and tissue fluid from the hematoma.  However, occasionally after this type of injury, fat necrosis can occur in the skin and subcutaneous tissue after the injury and result in a chronic abnormality or "dent" in the skin. Over the next 4-6 weeks, if the area does not resolve and you are unhappy with the result, I would recommend that you seek evaluation by a physician who can re-examine you.  I hope this helps. 

Charles Webster, MD