Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Financing Medication

03/29/2007

Question:

My daughter does pretty well as long as she’s on her medication but if we don’t have the money for it wears off. She is a handful to say the least yelling, screaming and being just plain hateful. I’d like to know is there any help out there to get the medication she needs. Preferably cheaper or even free.

Answer:

First, I truly apologize..somehow two questions did not get to me this month until now and yours was one.

Sounds like you have your hands full!

Since I don't know your daughter, even her age, I can't tell you why she seems to be getting worse. Lots of outside influences (such as difficulties at school, with friends or in the family) and internal influences (like worries/anxiety/fear and depression  or the hormonal changes that start happening to girls somewhere between 12 and 15 years old) can effect that. She needs to see a doctor or therapist to help you and her figure it out.

Shire (the company that makes Adderall) does have a special program to help folks who have a very low income. You can qualify if she does not have prescription insurance, does not qualify for any government programs, and you have an income at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level.  Your daughter must also be a US resident and your doctor must sign for it. You can find information about that program and others for other medications at the link below (needymeds.com).

I wish you the best.

Needy Meds

Go to the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder health topic, where you can:

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine