Dental and Oral Health Center

Bumps on back of tongue

03/06/2007

Question:

I recently found a bump to the side of the back of my tongue. Within a day or two, I saw about 7 to 8 flat pink bumps that look like my tongue tissue raised. They are hard, but didn`t hurt at first. They are uncomfortable because it feels like something is in my throat, especially when I swallow. Following this, a day later they felt really sensitive to the touch, and my tongue and my lip started to tingle and burn a bit. They are hard but sensitive. I have HPV, but have not really had an occurrence of a lot of warts or ever in my mouth.

I recently took some health trinity pills with live bacteria for my intestines because I have acid reflux, but one accidently opened in my mounth and burned a little. I dont know if this could be the reason why. The only medication I take is sinus medicine occasionally and some natural health pills to help with my acid reflux like acidophilus and super enzymes. I have never had this problem before. I would just like to know your opinion.

Answer:

You probably are looking at the normal anatomy of the top and sides of the tongue. Lymphoid aggregates and the circumvallate papillae are often found toward the posterior (back part) aspect of the tongue. You may also be developing burning mouth syndrome, and this would not have been caused by HPV or the live bacteria. If your symptoms remain and you want to confirm the diagnosis, you should be evaluated by an oral pathologist.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology