Pulmonary Hypertension

What is end-stage PH?

03/12/2007

Question:

My mother age 59 recently diagnosed with PH secondary to pulm. embolis due to past dvt. She has a Vena Cava Filter. Her treatment is only oxygen and coumadin. She is retaining 80 lbs water and right sided retension. She is also morbidly obese 426 lbs,diabetic,high blood pressure as well.Her Echocardiogram showed Pulmonic Valve poorly seen,Mitral annular calcifications,mild to mod. mitral regurgitation, Left ventricle ejection fraction 55%, Right ventricle moderatly enlarged systolic pressure 70mmHg, Atria right moderatly enlarged,atrial septum bulging into left atrium. No shunt seen. IVC not seen well.

Answer:

Advanced pulmonary hypertension is when the patient develops right heart failure from it. I do not like to use the term end stage unless we have determined the cause, and the patient has worsened despite appropriate treatment. Sounds like your mother may have pulmonary hypertension and right heart failure from chronic clots in the lung; the treatment for this is blood thinners and surgery, unless there is something else contributing to the pulmonary hypertension.

Go to the Pulmonary Hypertension health topic, where you can:

Namita   Sood, MD, FCCP Namita Sood, MD, FCCP
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep