Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Permanent tooth nowhere in sight

03/07/2007

Question:

My 11-year-old son lost the tooth next to his two upper front teeth on the right (sorry I don`t know the number) in November, and the new tooth is not yet making even a hint of an appearance. He lost the tooth right next to that one about a month ago and there`s no sign of that permanent tooth either. Could he be missing two permanent teeth? What is the likeliest explanation? We go to the pedodontist in two weeks for his semi-annual checkup, but a friend of mine mentioned the possibility of missing teeth today and that never even occurred to me.

Answer:

The estimation for overall number of missing teeth in the population is about 3%. I would definitely mention your concern to your pediatric dentist - he will be able to follow up with appropriate X-rays and an examination. The key is diagnosing early so that a proper plan of action can be formulated in terms of treatment timing. Thanks for your question.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatric Dentistry