Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Adults with Asperger's



How do I handle a healthy relashionship with my daughter`s father? He fits all the descriptions of an adult with Asperger Syndrome. We divorced almost four years ago and now that I re-married he is behaving even more weird than ever before. I`m afraid my daughter might be affected by his non-common sense behavior. He is great with mathematics (graduated as Cibernetic-Mathematics Engineer) and works in computers programming. What do I do to approach him and gain a little bit of communication reagrding my daughter? What do I read? Where do I go? Any information or help will be highly appreciated! Thank You!


There is no simple answer. It depends on the non-common sense behavior. If it is endangering the child, then speak to an attorney for whether she should visit him. If you can encourage him to see a psychologist familiar with Asperger syndrome, that would be helpful - perhaps best if you can all go together - if he would be receptive to either of these. Perhaps he can get a diagnosis this way too.

Alternatively, if he isn't receptive- you and your daughter can go to family counseling so that the counselor knows to check in with her periodically and monitor what she may be observing, to help her understand it in context.

If the behavior is not dangerous, then it would be useful to know that many 'typical' people are exposed to Asperger syndrome but develop typically because of exposure to many alternative behavioral role models. There are many books available to learn about Asperger syndrome, but first check with a professional to find ones best directed at your needs.

For more information:

Go to the Autism health topic, where you can:

Response by:

David Q Beversdorf, MD David Q Beversdorf, MD
Assistant Professor of Clinical Neurobehavior and Neurology
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University