Athletic Training

Peroneal Tendonitis: At a loss of a cure

03/15/2007

Question:

I sprained my ankle (very lightly) by bending down. I have sprained my ankle many times before, and every time i have developed peroneal tendonitis (the tendonitis was never diagnosed). For this rescent sprain, i went to see a physiotherapist who officialy diagnosed me with peroneal tendonitis. To ease the swelling of my ankles (both having this problem), i was given anti-inflammatory drugs. These drugs did not work. For 2 months I have been at complete rest, elevating and icing my ankles, and move only using crutches. I still have pain at rest and swelling. I am 19 years old and have never been involved in any extreme sports, only easy-going workouts. What could be wrong ? Which expert should I see?

Answer:

It is best to consult with your physician before pursuing further treatment. An orthopedic specialist dealing with the foot and ankle may provide you with more answers. Your physician may also order some diagnostic tests (i.e. XRay, MRI,etc.) in order to determine the exact cause of pain.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Angela Justina Beisner, MA, AC Angela Justina Beisner, MA, AC
Athletic Trainer
Department of Athletics Instructor