Exercise and Fitness

Elliptical machine workouts

We have recently purchased an elliptical machine - Sole E25. I currently do not exercise and am interested in starting a routine where I would firm all excess areas. I am female - 48 years old, good health and 135lbs. Where and how do I start?

As always, first check with your personal physician before beginning an exercise program. Once you receive clearance from your physician, you may gradually incorporate cardiovascular conditioning into your daily routine.

A simple definition of cardiovascular exercise is any exercise that raises your heart rate to a level where you can still talk, but you start to sweat a little.

Aim for at least 20 minutes of cardiovascular exercise 3 or 4 days a week as you begin your cardiovascular program. The ideal cardiovascular exercise program starts with a 5- to 10-minute warm-up, which includes gentle movements that will slightly increase your heart rate. Then, slowly move into 20 or more minutes of a cardiovascular exercise of your choice, such as the elliptical or walking, to reach what is called your target heart rate. End your exercise program with a 5- to 10-minute cool down, which will help to lower your heart rate and prevent your muscles from tightening up. Since you have not been involved in a regular conditioning program, you will need to slowly increase the duration of your activity and the intensity of your activity. Do not overdo it.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Rachael   Dotson, BS Rachael Dotson, BS
Program Manager
Certified Johnny G Spinning Instructor
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley