Scar tissue on lung

about 4 years ago i got hurt and they took x rays. the dr. said i had scar tissue on my lungs. i have never smoked, but i was around cigarettes all the time growing up(my dad). i just want to know if it will get worse? and if so, how bad can it get or whats the worse case scenario?

There are many things that can cause scars in the lung. Some (such as pulmonary fibrosis) are serious and require referral to a specialist. Others (such as scars from past pneumonia) are not serious and do not cause breathing problems in the future. It can sometimes be difficult to tell if an x-ray abnormality is truly a scar or if it is an early cancer. Sometimes a special test called a CT scan can help your doctor decide whether the scar is serious or not. The best thing for you to do is to ask your doctor what he/she believes the scar is due to and whether he/she recommends any further testing.

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine