Pain Management

Right Torso Pain

04/05/2007

Question:

I have recently started having a very sharp unusual pain that always is on my right side. From just under my ribs to just above my hip. This has been going on for about about 8 days. It starts in a heartbeat and lasts from 2-4 minutes, real bad. Then starts easing up afterward. The total time is about 8-10 minutes. Then for about the next 20-30 minutes I have to be real careful in my moving, twisting or sitting down, because it could happen all over again. It happened about three times the first day. Then it slowly went to about 6-8 times a day. The last 2 days it has dropped to about 4 times a day. There is no certain time or position or movement that starts it. On an average it has taken me to my knees twice a day. I have had lumbar disc and bone disease, since 1992. But I worked until approximately December 1999. It was not until approximately January 2002 when my social security disability started, and I am still under the doctor`s care and will be forever they say. I said all this to say this, I take a good bit of medications, some very powerful. But I know this, it is not my back. I also wonder if some of the pain is even blocked because of what I am on? Thanks

Answer:

Unfortunately, there are a lot of questions that need to be answered. From what I gathered, the pain may be coming from 2 main sources, either the back or the right hip.

In any case, you should have a Lumber MRI W/WO contrast and a right hip MRI.

Depending on the reading, I will be able to direct you more to what the reason is and how to get help.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Hammam  Akbik, MD, FIPP Hammam Akbik, MD, FIPP
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia