Strep throat

03/23/2007

Question:

I`m a nursing student at Sanford Brown doing research (not my choice) on Oral sex and strep throat...and the question brought up was "What effect does strep throat have on a mans Penis if receiving oral sex from someone with strep throat? I keep comeing up with STDs but i have to have a resorceful and creditable site, Thank you

Answer:

It is highly unlikely that someone with an active strep throat infection would be providing oral sex.  They usually feel quite ill, and the throat is extremely sore.  On the other hand, if someone is a carrier of strep, and so they are not symptomatic but have nevertheless a positive throat culture, there should be no ill effect of providing oral sex. 

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy