Guttata

06/05/1998

Question:

I was told that I have a Guttata. What is it and what can I do about it?

Answer:

The word "guttata" comes from a Latin word that means "drops". Corneal guttata are microscopic indentations seen on the back surface of a patient's cornea; and when viewed with a biomicroscope (which is also known as a slit-lamp), they really look like dimples on a golf ball. They are probably genetic in origin, and there is no specific treatment for them. They can sometimes lead to corneal swelling and blurred vision, but this would be a rare occurrence; they usually do not cause any severe eye problem. However, patients with guttata may have difficulty wearing rigid contact lenses, so optometrists tend to recommend soft lenses for these patients. Also, if patients report red, burning, irritated, dry, or sandy eyes, then ocular lubricants, like artificial tear eyedrops and/or ointments, are prescribed to keep the cornea moist.

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry