Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Eye and Vision Care




I was told that I have a Guttata. What is it and what can I do about it?


The word "guttata" comes from a Latin word that means "drops". Corneal guttata are microscopic indentations seen on the back surface of a patient's cornea; and when viewed with a biomicroscope (which is also known as a slit-lamp), they really look like dimples on a golf ball. They are probably genetic in origin, and there is no specific treatment for them. They can sometimes lead to corneal swelling and blurred vision, but this would be a rare occurrence; they usually do not cause any severe eye problem. However, patients with guttata may have difficulty wearing rigid contact lenses, so optometrists tend to recommend soft lenses for these patients. Also, if patients report red, burning, irritated, dry, or sandy eyes, then ocular lubricants, like artificial tear eyedrops and/or ointments, are prescribed to keep the cornea moist.

For more information:

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry
The Ohio State University