Constriction in throat

04/16/2007

Question:

I hope you can provide some guidance. I have been having a lot of symptoms for about a year and can`t seem to find a cause. The symptoms are palpatations, sinus tachycardia, fatigue, intermittant back pain (like a pulled muscle), and a feeling of constriction in my throat. The throat tightness is the most bothersome since it is with me all the time. I feel like I have to clear my throat even though this provides me no relief. Also, I quite frequently feel dizzy, with head pressure but no pain and sometimes a popping in my head. Cardiologist found nothing, blood work for thyroid was fine, negative for Lyme. In your opinion could it be related to sinuses? Where do I go from here?

Answer:

The symptoms you are describing do not fit a single etiology.  I do not believe they are related to the sinuses.  Acid reflux into the throat can cause constriction in the throat.  Food allergies can also lead to tightness in the the throat and other more vague symptoms such as fatigue.  Anxiety can cause a lot of the symptoms you are describing.  An examination of the throat by an ENT physician with possible food allergy testing would be important.

Lee   Zimmer, MD Lee Zimmer, MD
Assistant Professor or Otolaryngology, Director of Endoscopic Cranial Base Center