Coumadin and your period

04/06/2007

Question:

I was hospitalized in feb 2007. I had a blood clot in my mysenteric artery. i was put on coumadin. I had a real light period 3 days after the start of coumadin and I have not had a period since. What is the reason why if any. Also I had a subtotal colectomy on Aug 1, 07. At that time thet found cycts on my left ovary the size of a baseball, I was put on birth control pills. The cysts went away. The pill caused my blood clot.

Answer:

From what you wrote, it seems like you have not had a period for two months. Coumadin is more than likely NOT the cause for this. Assuming you are not pregnant (it’s always a good idea to do a pregnancy test if you have missed a period), the most likely causes for you to have missed your period are:

#1 – the major illness that you had (hospitalizations often will mess with the hormones and throw off periods), and

#2 – you are no longer on the birth control pill, which was regulating your period.

If you have not had a period in 3 months (missed two periods), you should see your doctor and talk about what can be done next.

W. Fred Miser, MD W. Fred Miser, MD
Professor of Family Medicine
Director of Ohio State Medicine Residency Program