Curly hair

04/16/2007

Question:

My hair has been straight for 55 years. In November 2006 I had minor surgery which required anesthesia. About two weeks later my hair started to wave and eventually really curl. I`m having a VERY difficult time adapting to this change. Did the anesthesia I received cause my hair to curl? If so, is this a permanent effect? Is there anything I can do to reverse it?

Answer:

This question has been forwarded by Anesthesia:

I am not sure that I have good answers to your questions. There have been anecdotal reports of changes in hair texture after major surgeries, cancer, medication reactions, major body stressors. Sometimes the hair reverts back to normal within 6-12 months, sometimes it is a permanent change. I would recommend you see your board certified dermatologist if it continues to worsen to make sure there is no identifiable diagnosis on evaluation.

Pranav   Sheth, MD Pranav Sheth, MD