Maybe a pimple in my inner ear

04/12/2007

Question:

Usually every 6-9 months or so, I get a pimple or something swell up in my inner ear with extreme pain. It usually swells to the point of closing up my canal. On one ocassion last year, I went to the ER and had to have the swelling excised. After the doctor cut the boil/cyst/pimple, the normal puss and blood was Q-tipped out....man was that painful, partially due to the fact that the shot ingredients were unable to penetrate through the puss to the nerve endings (so the Dr says). The doctor also excised a growth from the cyst/boil/?? Now its here again, albeit not as bad, but here nonetheless---any ideas what this could be?

Answer:

There are glands in this area that can sometimes become infected.  A small cyst may form and can sometimes recur if it is not completely removed.  I suggest you see an otolaryngologist. You will need to get a biopsy to make sure the lesion is benign and not malignant, and then more definitive therapy can be recommended. 

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program