Eye Color Changing

04/16/2007

Question:

Hi, im 17years old, and i`ve noticed that my eye colour is changing slightly. I have light brown coloured eyes and i now have gotten a dark blue ring round both the outside of each eyes, i can see it more now, and i was wondering what this may? and why? My mum has got it but alot more blueness, i asked her why this is happening and she said it`s showing that you are getting old, dunno if this is just a rumour or what, any knowledge on this would be appreciated.

Answer:

This blue ring could be a sign of cholesterol deposits in the cornea called arcus senilis. It is age-related, but can occur prematurely in people with high cholesterol levels. You should have that checked and talk to your relatives about whether they have heart disease or high cholesterol. You're never too young to have this checked.

Cynthia Gale Heard, OD Cynthia Gale Heard, OD
Formerly
Assistant Professor, Clinical Optometry