Gum Diseases

Gum pains

04/10/2007

Question:

Good morning, I`m a 23-year old female and I been having trouble with my gums for a while now. They hurt, bleed when I brush my teeth, and when I eat something. They don`t hurt everyday. For example, it started hurting 2 days ago and probably tomorrow, It would stop hurting. but the pain would come back probably next month. In the summer last year I had the worst pain ache, so I went to the hospital, and they said it came from a rotten tooth. So that week I went to the dentist and he pulled it for me because the tooth was very bad and had a whole in it. So I thoght I wouldn`t have no more problems with my mouth. But couple months after, a different spot in my mouth started hurting. When my gums hurt, they get very red and look like they get swollen. Sometime I put orajel on them and swiss benadryl aoround my mouth. Are those products good for gums aches. Can you tell me what other products I can use for this? Do you might know what causing my gums to hurt all the time?

Thank you for your time and consideration!!

Answer:

Without examining you, I would advise that you schedule a "new patient exam" with a dentist in your area. Based upon your descriptions, you have a couple of problems occurring that need to be addressed immediately (dental caries and periodontal inflammation and/or disease).

In response to your question of Orajel and Benadryl rinses, these products are only a palliative treatment and do not address the possible problem of periodontal disease and dental caries (cavities).

You did seek emergency treatment for carious exposure of a tooth that resulted in extraction. I would suspect that if you don't see a dentist soon, that scenario will repeat itself.

A thorough "new patient exam" should include full mouth X-rays and assessment of your teeth and supporting structures (periodontal probing and assessment).

The dentist will then be able to address the problems in a systematic manner in order to limit emergency care. They will also schedule you for a cleaning (dental prophylaxis) that may include additional visits to thoroughly debride and clean your teeth. The schedule of procedures depends upon the dentist's assessment of your condition and may involve temporary repair of broken or decayed teeth prior to cleaning. That is why I suggest a exam as soon as possible.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine