High Blood Pressure

High blood pressure medicine and sore legs

04/16/2007

Question:

I have been on 4 different high blood pressure medicines, Lysinopril, diovan(spelling), norvasc, and avapro and each causes me to have very sore legs, mostly in the morning. I`ve been off medication for as long as 3 weeks and my legs feel much better, but not all soreness goes is gone.

What can I do? I need to be on some hypertension medication, but the sore legs are really bad. My father died of CHF at 75.

Answer:

While Norvasc can cause some leg swelling, ACE inhibitors (like lisinopril) and angiotensin receptor blockers (like Diovan and Avapro) don't usually cause sore legs.  However, some patients are more sensitive than others, and unusual side effects can occur.  Also, make sure that your are not on a statin.  Statins (like Zocor, Lipitor or Crestor) can cause leg soreness and pain.

In your case, it may be worthwhile to try another class of medications.  These other classes work by different mechanisms, and may not cause the same problems for you:

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Director of Hypertension Section