Gum Diseases

Inflammation of gum around teeth extractions

04/19/2007

Question:

Every few weeks, my gums feel inflamed in areas where I have had teeth extracted, some as long ago as a year. I have had x-rays and nothing shows up. Antibiotics help short term but I have already taken three courses in the last year. The inflammation subsides and then returns again, sometimes after a few days, sometimes longer. The associated feeling of aching/tenderness is very trying! Is there anything else I can do?

Answer:

OK... You had x-rays taken so we know that there is no residual root left at the extraction site.  It may be that you are pushing food debris onto your gums when you chew (we called this food impaction), and this may irritate your gums and cause inflammation. It is hard to tell without examining your bitting. Did you consider having restorations for the missing teeth?

The next thing that it needs to be considered is that sometimes there are little bony chips or picks left at the extraction sites. This may hurt the patient until they resorb. However, this should not continue for a year.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology