Trouble Waking Up

04/19/2007

Question:

Since a teenager I have had the most difficult time waking up. I have had alarms throughout the bedroom and house, wake up calls and even an alarm where it would shook the bed. I fall into such a deep sleep even when I have had the normal amount of sleep in me. It can take close to two hours to wake me completely. I have had conversations and have done things not even knowing b/c physically I am still asleep. I am now in my late thirties, it has gotten so much worse and I am at my breaking point. What is causing this and how can I seek help.

Answer:

There are several things that can cause excessive daytime sleepiness. Some of the more common things are diseases that affect the quality of your sleep. About 5% of the population has obstructive sleep apnea, where people stop breathing in the sleep, is an example. It is associated with snoring and most people don’t realize they have a problem while asleep.

Other diseases such as narcolepsy or idiopathic hypersomnia can also cause similar symptoms.

The bottom line, I would recommend you seeing a sleep specialist and then having an overnight sleep study, which can determine if you have sleep apnea or another problem with your sleep.

James   Knepler, MD James Knepler, MD
Formerly, Assistant Professor