Menopause

Bleeding

04/26/2007

Question:

i have been bleeding for about 5 months now. some days light. some days heavy. and blood clots. i had a dnc 2 years ago and doctor told me that i shouldn`t have anymore bleeding at all. well that didn`t happen. i lost my insurance so i haven`t had a chance to find another doctor. what do you suggest i do.i`m thinking that this can`t go on for much longer and that perhaps it`s gone on to long now.

Answer:

You should see a physician.  Depending on your age various recommendations could be made.  These might include: an endometrial biopsy, a sonogram (ultrasound), a blood count to see if you are already anemic, a pregnancy test, blood tests for thyroid function, and therapy with oral contraceptives or progestins to help regulate the bleeding.  You may want to start an iron supplement since you have been bleeding so long.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology