Sinus drainage and swollen uvula

04/30/2007

Question:

Hi, I`m 24 years old and have been suffering from a tight feeling in my throat for a few days now. It feels as though my uvula is stuck in my throat. I also have a chronically stuffed up nose (have since I was a very small child) and sinus drainage. I was wondering if sinus drainage could cause a swollen uvula?

Answer:

Post nasal drip can cause inflammation in the throat, and can lead to swelling of the uvula.  Attempts at clearing out this mucus can aggravate this problem.  In addition, chronic mouth breathing, particularly at night, can cause pressure on the uvula and lead to swelling.  I would suggest you consult an ENT physician to further evaluate these issues.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy