Smoking and Tobacco

Correlations?

04/27/2007

Question:

Hello. My Math class is doing some correlation studies, and I have not yet found a topic. I was wondering if you'd have information you'd be willing to provide about : Number Of Cigarettes Smoked compared to Amount Of Cancer

If you could, it would help so much. Thanks

Answer:

There is a clear causal relationship between the number of cigarettes smoked (amount of tobacco consumed) to adverse health effects; the greater the number/amount, the greater the risk.

According to the American Cancer Society, tobacco use accounts for about one third of all cancer deaths in the United States. Smoking causes almost 90% of lung cancers. Smoking also causes cancers of the larynx (voice box), oral cavity, pharynx (throat), and esophagus, and contributes to the development of cancers of the bladder, pancreas, cervix, kidney, and stomach; it is also linked to the development of some leukemias.

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Amanda Blake, BA, TTS, OCPS 1
Wellness and Prevention Specialist
JamesCare for Life
The James