Asthma

Dangers of Steroid Inhalers

04/30/2007

Question:

I have wheezing problem from my childhood. I get attacked at least four or five times in a year due to some allergy problems. I will become fine after medication within two or three days. To prevent this, regardless of wheezing attack, doctor asked to use Becoride inhaler for six months, one puff in morning and night. In worst times, I was asked to use Vent inhaler. Till now, I didn’t come across any situation to use Vent inhaler but I do use Becoride inhaler regularly. I want to know if the daily use of Becoride inhaler is good for health. Now I am planning to become pregnant, will use of Becoride inhaler affect me directly or indirectly by any means?

Answer:

I do not recognize the name of the inhaled medicine you have listed; however, the way you are taking it makes me think it is an inhaled steroid.  Inhaled steroids are used to reduce the inflammation in the breathing tubes and reduce the frequency of asthma flares.  Inhaled steroids are considered a "controller" medicine because they help control asthma.  Asthmatics who have breathing symptoms more than twice a week during the day or twice a month at night should be on a "controller medicine".  Despite being on a "controller" medicine you should also have a "rescue" medicine like Ventolin.  "Rescue" medicine is used for quick (emergency) relief of breathing symptoms. 

Pregnancy can worsen your asthma 1/3 of the time.  Having your asthma under good control is critical for a healthy baby - remember you are breathing for you and the baby.  The inhaled steroids are safe for use during pregnancy.  Be sure to inform your OB/GYN doctor of all the medicines you are taking.

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

Cathy   Benninger, RN, MS, APRN, C-AE Cathy Benninger, RN, MS, APRN, C-AE
Clinical Assistant Professor
Director, OSU Asthma Center Educational Program