I get so cold!

When I go to sleep at night I get so cold I cannot sleep without a sweatshirt & 3 heavy wool blankets. Sometimes I even sleep under the covers. If you were to feel my skin, its even chilly. The temperature in the room is 70 degrees though. I have taken to taking a hot water bottle to bed, which is sometimes the only way I can sleep!

I am 50 and have noticed that I get this way a day or two before I get my period. Suddenly my period is even more irregular and now I`m cold much more frequently, so this is becoming more of a problem.

About 10 years ago I started to have shorter periods & had some periodic hot flashes, but this went away.

I wonder if I am about to suddenly go through some big change. I also wonder if I can do something about being so cold. It really disturbs my sleep.

Thank you very much!

At age 50 you are probably getting very close to menopause.  Did your mother have the same problem?  I would recommend you have your thyroid function checked.  Be sure you are good and warm before you even get into bed.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology