Menopause

I get so cold!

05/16/2007

Question:

When I go to sleep at night I get so cold I cannot sleep without a sweatshirt & 3 heavy wool blankets. Sometimes I even sleep under the covers. If you were to feel my skin, its even chilly. The temperature in the room is 70 degrees though. I have taken to taking a hot water bottle to bed, which is sometimes the only way I can sleep!

I am 50 and have noticed that I get this way a day or two before I get my period. Suddenly my period is even more irregular and now I`m cold much more frequently, so this is becoming more of a problem.

About 10 years ago I started to have shorter periods & had some periodic hot flashes, but this went away.

I wonder if I am about to suddenly go through some big change. I also wonder if I can do something about being so cold. It really disturbs my sleep.

Thank you very much!

Answer:

At age 50 you are probably getting very close to menopause.  Did your mother have the same problem?  I would recommend you have your thyroid function checked.  Be sure you are good and warm before you even get into bed.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology