STD

05/15/2007

Question:

What are the symptoms of an oral std?

Because, I have developed clear blisters in the back of my throat. Some days they bother me and some days they dont. My throat has been red the entire time and this has been going on almost 3 months now. Sometimes my temperature will go up a little bit. but, some people say it could be strep or i dont know what. My right lymph node is larger than the left. but some days its not enlarged at all. My tonsils are red with dimples in them. ( i think the dimples are normal?) But i can see a cluster of small clear blisters in back of my throat. but to see them i need to shine a flastlight and look far down. I have no other symptoms. But i do get sinus infections often. more than 4 a year. could this be from a sinus infection?? Please help!

Answer:

I have found that most people rarely diagnose real pathology in their throats.  I say this because I don't think many people routinely look at their tonsils or the back of their tongues.

You are correct.  Dimples on the tonsils are normal.  There are even some clear blisters that can occur on the throat that are normal.  Pain in the throat for 3 months is very unusual and atypical for a strep infection.  Even without antibiotics, a strep infection will probably clear up in 5-10 days.

Your problem sounds more like acid reflux.  In addition to a chronic sore throat, many people complain of mucus accumulation in the throat, cough, difficulty swallowing, a need to clear the throat, maybe bad breath and frequently a lump in the throat sensation.  You do not have to have all of these symptoms to have acid reflux.  The other interesting point is that you can have any or all of these symptoms in the absence of heartburn and still have acid reflux.

I recommend that you see an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist so that you can have a thorough examination of your throat and get to the bottom of this problem.

Keith M Wilson, MD Keith M Wilson, MD
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Head and Neck Division