Depression

Depression and Panic Attacks

05/17/2007

Question:

Sir, As a consultation with a psychiatrist. He told me that I have been suffering with depression. I also had a slight pain in the chest and increase pulse rate and heart beat. I experience low memory as well, then he told me I have been suffering with panic attacks. He prescribed me medicines Panex 20mg, Betaca0 40 and Lonazep(When necessary)..Please tell me what is this problem and how ling it will take to cure.

Answer:

Panic attacks frequently complicate depression. Both panic attacks and depression may contribute to chest pains and increased pulse rates. Memory loss or difficulty paying attention is also common with both depression and panic disorder. I am not familiar with your medications, but I guess you live in a country outside the US so your medication names are different from ours.

I guess that you have chronic depression and panic disorder, but the best way to get an answer to your important questions is to return to your consulting psychiatrist and discuss these questions in detail. These are problems that are not going to be "cured", but may be well managed with consistent medical care.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program