Pain Management

Neck Pain

05/14/2007

Question:

Over a week ago I woke up with neck pain and the next day it felt worse. It tends to subside a little, as the day progresses, but when I wake up each day it is back to how it felt. It`s feels like a deep pain on the back right side of my neck that extends to the right center of my back depending on how far I turn my neck. It hurts the most looking down. Any ideas of what it could be and how I can treat it?

Answer:

Since this appears to be an acute event, the most likely cause is torticollis also known wry neck. It is due to muscle spasms and is usually self-limited. Your doctor may prescribe a muscle relaxant or a non-steroidal agent for symptomatic relief if that turns out to be the cause of your pain. There may be other much less common causes for the pain and an evaluation by a physician is essential in determining its cause and potential treatment modalities.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine