Urinary Disorders

Urinary Problems (Low Urine Output)

05/21/2007

Question:

I am 37 years male, and a) I have low urine output (slightly more than 500ml per day). b)The color of my urine is yellow and sometimes light green. c)I do NOT have the urge to urinate, and my abdomen becomes unusually heavy, when I go to urinate d) It all started about 2 years back, with a severe pulling pain in my abdomen such that something was tearing out from my kidneys and trying to push forcibly out of my navel (belly button). e) My stomach seems to be bulged out, which I can see from the holes in the belt that I wear. f) I consulted several urologists and each of them gives me different results. One of them says that I have Hydernephrosis and the other says I have Necrosis. I don`t know what to do? I have spent lot of money and NO cure.

Answer:

I am at a loss to explain your symptoms with the information that you have provided. Low urine output is an understatement- generally > 1500 ml per day is in the adult normal range and low output as you have described would typically lead to renal failure. The diagnosis of hydronephrosis would typically prompt studies to determine the cause and what treatments would be indicated.

You need to question your urologist(s) more closely and determine from your primary care physician what blood tests have shown regarding your kidney function. Necrosis is synonymous with tissue death while hydronephrosis suggests kidney outflow blockage- these are distinguishable on CT scan.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

James F Donovan, Jr, MD James F Donovan, Jr, MD
Professor of Surgery
Director of UC Urology