Root Canals

After root canal pain

05/11/2007

Question:

Two weeks ago my dentist performed a root canal and put in a temporary filling. There was some pain after the initial proceedure and my dentist put me on antibiotics 2 days later. The tooth was feeling much better today when my dentist did the final filling on the tooth. Now my entire mouth is in so much pain I can barely stand it. I have been taking advil since the novicaine wore off. Is this normal and how long should I expect to have this pain. Prior to having the root canal my tooth was being preped for a crown when it got infected which required the root canal to be done. I was in quite a bit of pain with the infection and this feels like the same pain.

Answer:

Having some discomfort or pain after a root canal is not uncommon. This is due to an inflammatory process necessary for healing. Discomfort within the first couple of weeks can be well within the normal range.

If you are having problems managing your pain, you should speak with your dentist or endodontist. If you continue to have pain longer than the normal range or you have a change in your pain or new symptoms develop, it would be best to be reevaluated to rule out any potential complications.

Go to the Root Canals health topic, where you can:

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics