Arthritis and Rheumatism

Severe Joint Pain with no reasons

05/15/2007

Question:

I saw a previous question describing the same symptoms as mine. Two weeks ago I had what I thought was a bout with flu, but the debilitating effects have lingered on: severe joint pain when I try to more any of my joints: wrists, shoulders, fingers, knees. I had never before suffered from anything remotely like arthritis.And there are many rashes on my legs, thighs, and in the groin area. I have undergone all the blood and urine tests and Lyme test result was negative. I am taking the painkiller ic naproxen sodium, but when the drug wears out, the pain and weakness comes back. I have been an extremely healthy 72-year-old. Is this some sort of vicious virus, or something more ominous? Please Help!!!!!!!

Answer:

Presence of arthritis and rash suggests the possibility of vasculitis. Also need to consider the possibility of reactive arthritis due to viral infection with rash due to viral exanthem (rash). A rheumatologist's evaluation would be helpful in making the correct diagnosis.

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Johnny  Su, MD Johnny Su, MD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Medicine