NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Sunday, December 21, 2014
Exercise and Fitness
Having a butt
What excercisizes do I have to do to have a nise nice butt?
Great Gluteus Maximus
Gluteus who? What is a gluteus maximus anyway? The “gluteus maximus” muscle is one of several muscles which form the buttocks. The other two muscles are the “gluteus minimus” and “gluteus medius”. The “gluteus maximus” is the largest and most prominent muscle. This muscle allows us to extend and rotate our hip. We use this muscle whenever we get up from a chair, climb stairs, jump, or ride a bicycle.
One of the best exercises to strengthen the gluteus maximus is the SQUAT. A squat can be done in numerous ways.
- Body weight: Stand with feet hip distance apart. Lower hips until your thighs are parallel to the floor (or as comfortable without going beyond 90 degrees). Do not allow the knees to extend past the toes.
- Resistance band: Stand on the band with both feet and clasp the band handles at shoulder height with straight wrists. Proceed with squat.
- Dumbbells: Hold weights at arms length down at your sides. Proceed with squat.
- Stability Ball: Place ball against the wall. Standing, place ball at lower back level. Proceed with squat.
Another exercise for this muscle is a bent knee HIP EXTENSION on elbows and knees.
- Place elbows on the floor directly below shoulders and knees on the floor directly below hips.
- Keep the head in alignment with the spine and abdominals contracted.
- Bend the knee, contract the buttock muscles, raise the leg (leading with the heel) toward the ceiling.
- Be careful not to raise the leg beyond hip level.
- Be careful not to arch the back.
- Repeat on other leg.
Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley
University of Cincinnati