Face and Jaw Surgery

Continuing pain

08/30/2007

Question:

I had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out about five weeks ago. After that I had two dry sockets, which I had them taken care of and and have had this I would say irregular pain in my left side. My lower left wisdom teeth was heavenly impacted, in which that was basically why the teeth were extracted in the first place, along with a lot of ear pain. Even after all this time being back and forth to the oral surgeon. I still have this pain that feels like some sort of strain on my left side. My ears both hurt extremely bad and everytime I go and rinse my mouth out with a little sprayer that the nurse gave me to wash the food that gets stuck in the holes, the cold, or hot water is very painful on the nerve. My mother says that it is just that the nerve is still uncovered and sensitive. Is there anything to this or should I just go back to the denist and let him decide?

Answer:

It seems that there may still be an unresolved issue with those dry sockets.  Although most dry sockets respond well after just one treatment, there are some that are a little more persistent and require multiple treatments to eliminate the problem.  I would encourage you to continue to visit your doctor until the problem goes away.

Go to the Face and Jaw Surgery health topic, where you can:

Guillermo  E Chacon, DDS Guillermo E Chacon, DDS
Associate Professor of Dentistry