Tongue lump

05/14/2007

Question:

I have had a small lump inside my tongue now for about 5 weeks. I don`t remember having this lump before i got a head cold and some sinus congestion about 1 week before finding this lump. It is located just off the midline in the anterior 1/3 of the tongue. It is not visible on the top or bottom of the tongue only if pressed on or bittin down on. It seems to me to be located in the left portion of the tongue the size of a pea, perhaps 1-2 cm. It is not painful and has not seemed to grow in size, it also seems to get smaller at times not completely going away however. I have also noticed that under my tongue in the sublingual area it seems to be slightly swollen, not bad but noticable. My father is a dentist and i had him look at it and he acknowledge that is was an abnormal finding but did not think it was dangerous. I then went to an oral surgeon and he basically said the same thing, he looked it over, pressed on it, etc. He did not think it was anything to get too concerned about. I just would like to know what it is, or what I could do to possibly get rid of this lump. Thanks

Answer:

The best way to eliminate the lump and to find out what it is would be for the oral surgeon to do an excisional biopsy and send the tissue to an oral pathologist.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology