Arthritis and Rheumatism

Scl-70 anti-bodies

05/16/2007

Question:

A 49 yr. old women with several years of a highly elevated ANA low C3 suspicious for lupus. The usual complaints :fatigue, sensative to light, sicca, joint pain; especially wrist, hands, knees , ankles, back.Raynauds, mod. high BP, etc... Positive for SCL-70 anti-bodies. What other diseases besides scleroderma might include this anti-body? I have no skin involvement other then raynauds as yet. I have read some articles that have followed some lupus patience with exactly the same criteria. Neo evidence of scleroderma.

Please help me with some info.

Answer:

The main point to consider in this situation is that the predictive potential for the SCL-70 antibody is very poor outside of the realm of Scleroderma. In other words, I would not use this blood test to attempt to assist with the diagnosis in any disease except for Scleroderma. The SCL-70 antibody may be present in 40% or less of individuals with Sceroderma, but its specificity for the disease is considered to be high (but not 100%).

Sjogren Syndrome may also carry a weak association with SCL-70 antibodies. I would not make a diagnosis of Sjogren Syndrome based on an SCL-70 blood test.

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Raymond  Hong, MD, MBA, FACR Raymond Hong, MD, MBA, FACR
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Medicine