Asthma

Chronic Coughing

06/20/2007

Question:

I have chronic coughing. It shames me to be around other people constantly looking like I have cold. I had my tonsils taken out, and some clearing of bone in my nose. This seems to help my energy levels a little bit. I sleep better, I use to sleep sitting up but I can lie down now more than ever before. I cough almost everyday all day long. Sometimes with phlegm or mocus, others its dry deep down hurtful cough. So bad hurts my neck, stomach, head. I have been told I have asthma and told I didn't by different doctors. This puzzles me, my current doctor says I have it. I am on albuterol, advair, and I have done many breathing treatments on a machine. This machine causes me to cough even more and all my doctor said is hmm. He was an emergency room doctor that I went to because I vomit whenever I cough hard enough and it wouldn't go away. I just started having specks of blood in my phlegm, not sure what to think of this. Sometimes when I get sick I get bronchitis with burning in my chest. Could I have chronic bronchitis? Or chronic asthma, I have had this problem for years and has to be better way or an answer to what going on. Its just getting worse. It effect everything I do. The air conditioning helps sometimes and other times it doesn't do anything. Please help. Thank you for your time

Answer:

There are several possible reasons for a chronic cough including: chronic infection, sinus drainage from allergies, asthma, gastroesophageal reflux, reactions to drugs and various others. Some patients have more than one of these problems at the same time. It is best to see a specialist such as a Pulmonologist, who can perform a comprehensive evaluation to attempt to determine the cause of your chronic cough.

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

John G Mastronarde, MD John G Mastronarde, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep