Athletic Training

Burning foot

06/06/2007

Question:

While jogging/running my husband experiences "foot burn" only while jogging/running on a track.....when he moves his jog/run to sidewalks or bike paths he does not experience this pain....

Answer:

Sorry for the delay. This sounds like a matter of surface. Some surfaces are hard and some are softer, and this affects ground reaction forces that in turn enter the body. I don't know which surfaces in your case are hard and which are soft when looking at track compared to bike paths. I am assuming the track might be softer. The softer surfaces allow the body to react slower, which can stretch the muscles further causing overwork. When they overwork, they begin to fatigue and burn. Hard surfaces react quicker, causing more of a pounding or vibrations through the body.

My suggestions would be not to run on the surfaces that bother you, or really look at shoe choices and pick an appropriate shoe for each surface.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Jeffery  A Bright, MS, ATC/L Jeffery A Bright, MS, ATC/L
Assistant Athletic Trainer, Department of Athletics
Instructor