Digestive Disorders

Green stools

08/14/2007

Question:

I am having diarrhea and green stools when I use the restroom. I start out having abdominal pain and cramping, then I have very bad diarrhea and it is green. This all started after the birth of my child. Sometimes this will happen once a week sometimes twice a day. Sometimes the pain is bad that it makes me feel sick. I sometimes sweat and then get the chills. The last couple of times this has happened it has been once a week, and it happens in the middle of the night. Also, the last couple of times when I am having this severe cramping I have noticed it in my lower right side in my back. Is this something I need to worry about? This is so very uncomfortable, but it is also unpredictable, as sometimes my bowel movements are normal sometimes they are not? Thanks for any feedback.

Answer:

Since these seem to be new symptoms for you that you have not had in the past, I would recommend further evaluation by your primary healthcare provider.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Julia Gore Thornton, MD Julia Gore Thornton, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine